A brief history

Gwynedd Meeting was founded in 1699 by Friends who came from Wales the previous year. Meetings for Worship were held in settlers’ homes until a log meetinghouse was built in 1700. A second and more permanent building of stone was completed in 1712. The present meetinghouse was built in 1823. A community room and facilities for First Day (Sunday) School and kitchen were built in 1902 and expanded in 1948. In the late 1990s a large renovation and expansion project provided our community— which includes our active preschool—with ample room for work and play. The existing schoolhouse across the parking lot was built in 1857 and presently houses our kindergarten.

In 1967 the continuing care community of Foulkeways at Gwynedd was built on property left to Gwynedd Meeting in an earlier bequest. Many residents of Foulkeways have since become valued participants in the Meeting community.

Click Detailed History to go to the comprehensive history site including:

  • Chronological Sketch, Gwynedd Meeting
  • Meeting History and Geneology
  • Census Data and Tax Lists
  • Burial Grounds
  • Biographies
  • Essays
  • Quaker Links
  • Geneology Links (all free)
  • Relevant Histories
Arthur D'Adamo, 12/22/2020